You can make Puff-puff snacks right from your kitchen. Wondering how to make Puff-puff or simply put, how to prepare Puff-puff? Get in here for Puff-puff snacks recipes step by step guide.
Puff-puff is called by many names, retaining the “Puff puff” moniker in Sierra Leone, but called bofrot in Ghana, mikate in Congo, Beinye in Cameroon, and kala in Liberia. Some people eat this delicacy with a lot of pepper infused with it.
It is one of the most popular snacks in Nigeria eaten by all classes of citizen.
However, making puff-puff is as easy as any snacks you can think of. Its ingredients are not expensive and at the same time very easy to get.
Out of various ingredients Puff-puffs dough are made of contains flour, yeast, sugar, butter, salt, water and eggs and deep fried in vegetable oil until a golden brown colour is achieved.
Variations can be made in the Puff puff recipe by using baking powder in place of yeast but yeast is more common.
Then, what about how to make Nigerian Puff Puff from home, that’s even the most interesting part of it. It is very easy to make.
Here is how to make Nigerian puff puff at home.
- 2-3 Cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 to 1-1/5 Cup Water
- 2 Teaspoons Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Nutmeg (optional)
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- Half Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Onion (Blended/Grated)
- 4 Whole Cayenne Pepper (If you like peppered recipe)
- Vegetable Oil
Don’t need stories? Check out fast lane, express instructions on how to make Puff Puff.
- Blend or grate the Onion and pepper set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, mix together and set aside.
- Add the blended Onion and Pepper. Begin to add water a little at a time while mixing the batter.
- Once the batter is smooth and lump free, cover it up with a plastic wrap or a tight lid and leave it to rise for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the Oil to be hot enough and scoop the dough in your preferred sizes and drop into the hot oil.
- Fry both sides until golden brown. Repeat the frying process for your batches of dough.
- Your Puff Puff is now ready. Take them out and placed into a sieve.
Preferred more detailed explanations? Read through well elaborated how to prepare puff-puff guide below too.
- Mix the flour with ground nutmeg, powdered yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Also, add water and mix all with your clean hand.
PS: Use warm water to mix the puff puff ingredients if you want it to rise faster.
- Mix till the batter is smooth and yet thicker.
- After getting a smooth and thicker banter, set aside and cover the bowl to avoid air coming in.
- Leave it for about 45 minutes. The batter would have risen to deaired quantity and ready for frying.
- Mount your pot on a cooker, pour some oil inside and allow to heat up. Make sure the oil is at least 3 inches deep much more to contain the whole dough to form better.
- Scoop a little bit of dough, you can make it bigger or smaller if you wish and drop into the HOT oil.
- Put in more scoops of the batter, as much as the space in the frying pot will allow without overcrowding.
- Fry both sides to achieve a golden brown colour.
- Repeat the frying process for your batches of dough till you finish it all.
- When both sides are golden brown, take out the puff puff balls and place in a sieve, then line your sieve with paper towels.
After frying, puff puffs can be rolled in sugar. Like the French beignet and the Italian zeppole, puff-puffs can be rolled in any spices/flavouring such as cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and for a fusion style of cooking puff-puffs served with a fruit dip such as strawberry or raspberry. Puff puff can be taken with juice as lunch.