Make Ofe Onugu right from your kitchen in the next few minutes? Wondering how to cook Ofe Onugu or simply put, how to prepare Ofe Onugu? Get in here for Ofe Onugu recipes step by step guide.
This is a native food serve with a traditional clay plate from Eastern or Igbo part of Nigeria; the food is made with palm kernel and a native Eastern Cocoyam for thickness, serve with either Fufu, Eba or Pounded yam.
This Ofe Onugu dish is truly delicious and will soon be your favourite if it isn’t now. Hope you have fun cooking and eating it.
Ofe Onugu Ingredients
To Serve at least 4
- 100g Palm kernel
- 100g Periwinkle
- Cray fish
- Handful or more Bitter leaves
- 100g Boiled seasoned Snail
- 2 or 3 Boiled dried Stock fish
- 2 smoked Stock fish
- 200g Boiled seasoned assorted Beef or Goat meat
- 5 pieces small yellow chilli peppers
- 1 oz Locust beans
- 6 or 7 pieces Cocoyam
- 2-3 of cubes Seasonings
- Salt to taste (Seasonings may be enough)
Ofe Onugu Instructions
- Boil the palm kernel and cocoyam till cooked and soft. (Wash the vegetable thoroughly)
- Marsh the palm kernels with either hand or small mortar till the entire shaft are out, use a sieve to extract the palm oil.
- Put the palm kernel’s palm oil in a thick pan, boil for 10 minutes, marsh the cocoyam to thicken the oil then stir, blend the yellow pepper inside, and add the entire ingredient except the bitter-leaf and periwinkle.
- Add the meat, shrimps, snail, crayfish, assorted meat, Seasonings, salt, locust beans, dried and or smoked stock fishes.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Check the soup if very thick, add little bit of water and the periwinkle, taste the seasoning if okay.
- Wash the bitter leaves then squeeze out the bitter juice, chopped into slices and sprinkle into soup then leave for 10 minutes.
NOTE: Taste the soup if seasoning and recipes are okay especially pepper and salt, then serve with Eba, Fufu or Pounded yam.
Tip: Wash the bitter leaves thoroughly with salt to reduce the bitterness.