Make Ogbono Soup right from your kitchen anywhere. Wondering how to cook Ogbono Soup or simply put, how to prepare Ogbono Soup? get here for Ogbono Soup recipes step by step guide.
Ogbono soup is in different variations, one with no added vegetables, the other with vegetables. This particular Ogbono soup recipes variation is Ogbono Soup with Okra while we also have the latest fancy Ogbono soup with added Egusi.
Ogbono soup (draw soup) is a Nigerian dish made with ground dry ogbono (the local name for Irvingia) seeds, with considerable local variation. The ground ogbono seeds are used as a thickener, and give the soup a black coloration.
This soup is mostly eaten in the eastern part of Nigeria. Ogbonno is thick, slippery and very nutritious. It could be served with Eba, Amala, Pounded yam or Fufu.
- 2 oz of blended of ogbonno
- Blended Okra (10 pieces)
- 25 kg of Boiled assorted meat
- 4 Snails
- Dried stock fish and smoked stock fish.
- ½ oz Periwinkle
- ½ oz Crayfish
- A handful of Ugu leaf
- ½ oz Locust Beans
- 4 Small yellow chilli pepper
- 1 ½ cooking spoon of Palm oil
- Heat 1 cooking spoon of palm oil and a few slices of onions for 2 minutes.
- Add two cups of water and the Ogbono then stir altogether. Do not cover, leave for 5 minutes. The content turns into thick brown, if too thick add some water.
- Add the crayfish, pepper, stock fish, shrimps, locust beans, assorted meat and Pomo (skin beef). Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- After cooking for 10 minutes add the blended Okro and periwinkle leave to cook and check it draws (very slippery), then stir altogether, leave for another 10mins.
- Add the Ugu vegetable and seasoning for taste leave for 3mins (do not overcook vegetables).
- Serve with Fufu, Amala, Pounded yam, EBay or Semolina.
Ogbono Soup can be eaten with fufu, pounded yam, or with rice. In other countries the soup may be available in packaged prepared form in some markets that specialize in Western African foods. Ogbono soup has a mucilaginous (slimy) texture, similar to okra soup from which it got its “draw soup” name.