Kunu is also called Kunu drink, kunnu, Kunu zaki or kununzaki. This creamy delight is definitely a must-have drink. The drink can be made from tiger nuts, millet, corn, rice or sorghum.
Benefits of consuming kunu includes: boosting the immune system, a source of essential fat, can be essential for weight loss, a source of vitamin B and helps to decrease the level of cholesterol.
- Tiger nuts (fresh or dry).
- Date palm fruits (fresh or dry).
Try to add very little water when blending so the final result is not too watery.
1. Separate the tiger nuts from stone particles.
2. Rinse the fresh tiger nut and put it in a clean bowl. For dried tiger nuts, soak it in cold water for at least 48 hours and place in the fridge to ferment.
3. Remove the seed and rinse the fresh date palm fruits. For dried date palm fruits, soak in water to soften it.
4. Remove the hull from the coconut. Cut the coconut into small slices.
5. Peel the skin off the ginger and rinse properly.
6. Add the tiger nuts, dates, coconut, ginger and a little water into a blender. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
7. Sieve the content of the blender by using a muslin cloth.
8. Add the chaff with water back into the blender. Blend the mixture and squeeze the juice out again with a cloth.
9. Refrigerate the juice extract.
10. Enjoy a cup of chilled kunu alone or when eating a meal.