To all young guitarist!
Since I started playing guitar a few years ago, countless acoustic guitar songs have been produced that are perfect for beginners to experience the range of sound that can be produced by the acoustic guitar.
Now I am a little biased and my choices below reflect that. I went for what sounds good (to my ear and taste) played on the acoustic guitar; I also looked at songs that would be a slight (in some cases hard) challenge to beginners but songs that would add value to their repertoire; in fact the following songs if played well would add value to any guitarist's repertoire.
The following list is by no means exhaustive; it is purely my personal search through the internet to re-acquaint myself with what has been produced since the 1960s and really, to get back into one of my very first loves - of playing in a rock band.
- 1 First Ten Classics
- 1.1 1. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
- 1.2 2. Drive - Incubus
- 1.3 3. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
- 1.4 4. Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- 1.5 5. Bubbly - Colbie Caillat
- 1.6 6. Classical Gas - Mason Williams
- 1.7 7. Knocking on heaven's door - Bob Dylan
- 1.8 8. Wanted (Dead or Alive) - Bon Jovi
- 1.9 9. Blackbird - The Beatles
- 1.10 10.Come on get higher
- 2 Second Ten Classics
- 2.1 11. Every breath I take - Police / Puff daddy
- 2.2 12. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
- 2.3 13. Hotel California - The Eagles
- 2.4 14. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 2.5 15. Layla Uplugged - Clapton
- 2.6 16. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
- 2.7 17. Nothing else matters - Metallica
- 2.8 18. More than words - Extreme
- 2.9 19. Wonderwall - Oasis
- 2.10 20. If - Bread
First Ten Classics
1. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
I thought I would start with one of the evergreen masters of acoustic / electric guitar. It has some nice touches in it that will make you sound good.
2. Drive - Incubus
Nice driving rhythm acoustic guitar song that is great to play at parties.
3. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
When I first heard this song over in Honolulu it took me by surprise; a great song for those beach parties.
4. Californication - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
A nice classic introduction worth learning.
5. Bubbly - Colbie Caillat
OK, I have to admit this song grow on me; nice easy song for acoustic guitar.
6. Classical Gas - Mason Williams
A little harder to master but once you do wont be able to put it down.
7. Knocking on heaven's door - Bob Dylan
A great Dylan classic that is easy to play and would be great at parties.
8. Wanted (Dead or Alive) - Bon Jovi
A real classic, could not go past it. Nice distinct intro known widely - this will put you on the map; not too difficult to play.
9. Blackbird - The Beatles
This is not a song I would normally go for, but I think it is worth trying as it will extend your skill.
10.Come on get higher
A nice easy-going sing-along song that will wrap this first list of ten up.
Second Ten Classics
11. Every breath I take - Police / Puff daddy
A classic from the eighties
12. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Was the measure of a guitarist in the seventies
13. Hotel California - The Eagles
This will stretch you; worth the time it will take for you to master.
14. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
A widely recognized song throughout the world
15. Layla Uplugged - Clapton
This one you will enjoy, nice change in style
16. Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Classic Pink Floyd easy to play
17. Nothing else matters - Metallica
Classic Metallica - great sound
18. More than words - Extreme
This is a great song to extend your collection of chords
19. Wonderwall - Oasis
Another distinctive classic beginning riff
20. If - Bread
This is an oldie with a lot of interesting chords and changes for you to master and put together.